Could you imagine stuffing a perfectly seared and seasoned chicken breast in your mouth? What if I said that chicken breast was on top of a buttery, garlic seasoned roll, topped with caramelized onions and provolone cheese? Oh, my apologies, do you need a napkin to wipe that drool?
This is the craving I had today, and I had to give in. I didn’t even mention the spicey-sweet honey mustard that goes with this. Having all those flavors dancing ever so seductively in my mouth, using my taste buds as its stage, well let’s just say I really wanted an encore. But I settled by giving a standing ovation instead because I was happily stuffed. This sandwich is quick to make, feeds all your senses and half a sandwich fills you up very nicely.
I have to be honest and say I really wanted to grill the chicken breasts and I had everything set up to start. But the coals just weren’t feeling it and were fighting the flames. It’s like they put up some sort of shield that would rival the Starship Enterprise and make Scotty red with jealousy. So in I went to the frying pan which worked just as well.
While I was just starting to take pictures of this decadent sandwich, Chris, my son dove in the pool and our puppy was really trying to get at that chicken. “No, Puppers! I have to take a picture!” As Chris emerged from underwater, I hear him groan and mention something about his tooth. He got louder and I’ve only snapped a couple of shots – “Are you bleeding?” I asked and when he said “No.” I kept shooting. A split second later, he announces something is really wrong so I take a look. Yep, he chipped his front tooth, banged it and split the tooth itself. Needless to say, I was unable to take any more photos.
I wanted one where a bite was taken out just so you’d know how it would look after stuffing it in your own face….but, just go ahead and make this and you’ll see how tasty this sandwich really is.
Oh, and motto of today: Don’t dive deeply into the pool less you chip and split your tooth.
- 2 10 - 12 inch Demi French Baguettes
- 4 Tbs. butter, unsalted
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- salt and pepper to taste, divided
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved then sliced
- 2 Tbs. raw honey
- 1½ Tbs. spicey brown mustard
- 2 slices Provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Split baguettes in half so you have a top and bottom, making 4 halves.
- Spread 1 Tbs. butter and sprinkle garlic powder evenly over each baguette half.
- Pop in oven until edges are golden brown, about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan, add onion and salt and pepper to taste. Meanwhile, caramelize onions until they are golden to dark brown, about 12 - 15 minutes. Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in pan over medium to medium-high heat. Sear side and cook about 5 minutes, then flip to sear other side, cook another 5 minutes. (This time was for medium thickness chicken breasts. Adjust timing for thickness and cook until no longer pink in the middle).
- Remove chicken breast and let it rest for about 5 minutes, then cut each one in half.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey and spicey brown mustard.
- Now it's time to assemble your delicious sandwiches. Take a little less than a tablespoon of the honey mustard mixture and spread on each baguette half.
- Place your chicken and provolone cheese on the bottom half of the baguette. Each sandwich will have one chicken breast and one slice of provolone cheese. What you should have is two halves with honey mustard, chicken and cheese and two halfs with only honey mustard.
- Top the chicken and cheese with your caramelized onion.
- Put the tops of the baguette on top. You now have two complete sandwiches. But you aren't done yet. Pop those puppies in the oven for about 5 minutes so the cheese gets all happy - so much so, it melts.
- After the sandwiches come out of the oven, cut each one diagonally making 4 sandwiches all together.
- Serve with a tossed salad loaded with veggies and you have a complete meal.