I’ll confess, when I order at a Chinese restaurant and that plate gets delivered to me, my mouth waters….until I see bok choy. I can not stand, let me repeat, can not stand bok choy in a hot dish. Same goes for spinach. I don’t like wilted greens. Nope, not going to do it. So my watering mouth waits to get the decadent grub shoved in until I pick out ALL the bok choy. I never can remember to order a dish by saying ‘Hold the bok!” Yet I digress….
However, raw? Oh yes, I can eat raw bok choy and spinach until it comes out of my ears. So I threw them both together in a salad and made up a salad dressing that has a Mediterranean zing to it. Yep, I’m going crazy and mixing National cuisines in a salad that is packed full of flavor. Adding tahini – which is a paste made from sesame seeds and oil, adds a great flavor.
I made this salad on the fly with my daughter and her friends watching. It was funny listening to their comments as I mixed, tasted, pondered and added ingredients to the dressing until it was just right. I never said a word, but they could tell by my expressions when things needed to be added “Nope, something’s missing!” or ultimately, when I got it right “And we have a winner!”
Most of these ingredients everyone has on hand in their pantry and fridge. The edamame beans were already cooked and the sesame seeds were already toasted. So throwing this together was a breeze – which makes it quick and simple. You can serve this on its own with crusty French bread (there I go again, mixing the cultures on my table) that serves two, or have it as a side salad which serves 4. Enjoy ~ :).
- 1 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1½ cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup edamame beans, cooked
- 1 med. carrot, Julianne
- 2 thin slices red onion, halved
- ½ mandarin, in pieces
- ¼ cup cashews
- ½ Tbs. sesame seeds, toasted
- FOR DRESSING:
- ⅛ cup Tahini
- ⅛ cup water
- ½ Tbs. white rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. juice of a mandarin
- ½ tsp. agave nectar
- ¼ tsp. roasted garlic
- Pinch of salt
- Separate bok choy leaves and chop, rinse and dry. Rinse and dry spinach leaves and add to bok choy.
- Add edamame, carrot, red onion, mandarin pieces and cashews.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, add the dressing ingredients: Tahini, water, rice vinegar, mandarin juice, agave, roasted garlic and salt. Shake vigorously. Pour over salad ingredients and toss well.
- Serve immediately.