We are in a heat wave here in northern California, the 5th day of 100+ degree weather. Yesterday, it was 110 and 108 today. That is just too hot to cook let alone eat. But, sooner or later, the heat goes away, and most of us have grills so outdoor cooking is easy. This is when making this salad is perfect. It will take a little bit of time, only because of roasting the corn. But if you grill the steak while the corn is roasting, and boil the pasta all at once, the time will be cut down drastically.
There’s no need to roast the corn on the cob, this handy trick uses canned corn, spices and a frying pan. That’s it. You can use any spices you like – my combination was ground cumin and coriander and a chili lime seasoning rub. It’s quite simple to do actually, just drain, rinse and dry the corn kernels. Place them in a dry frying pan and sprinkle generously with your favorite seasonings. Roast for about 20 minutes turning occasionally, allowing it to brown slightly. Viola, roasted corn!
This makes A LOT of salad, enough for 8 people for a side dish, or 4 people for an entrée. The nutritional values given are for 8 servings, just an FYI. The salad is filling yet very flavorful. You’d think the strawberry with the steak would be a strange combination, but it works.
So make this salad and say “Mmmm” and “Wow, that was pretty good!” Just like we did.
- ½ box Orzo Pasta (it looks like rice)
- ½ lb. beef shoulder filet
- 1 tsp. Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 15 oz can corn, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- Ground cumin, to taste
- ground coriander, to taste
- Chili Lime seasoning to taste
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- 3 ripe strawberries, diced
- 1 packet (yes, the whole packet) Good Seasonings Garlic & Herb Salad Dressing
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Asiago cheese, shredded (optional)
- Cook orzo according to the package; drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, roast corn with ground cumin, coriander and chili lime seasoning as described in the post.
- While corn is roasting, rub a little oil on the steak and sprinkle with Montreal steak seasoning. Squeeze half the lime juice over steak. Either grill the steak or pan fry according to how you like yours prepared. I like mine medium, with just a little pink in it. That's about 4 minutes each side. Once done, set steak aside to rest, do not cut into it for at least 5 minutes.
- Place extra virgin olive oil in pan and saute red onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Make salad dressing according to package in a large bowl.
- Add pasta, roasted corn, strawberries, lime zest, red onion, cilantro and cheese to dressing. Toss to coat. Squeeze the rest of the lime juice over pasta.
- Cut steak into bite sized pieces and add to pasta, tossing until well coated.
- Sprinkle additional Asiago cheese on top and serve.